Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Technology--how do you define it?

Some might think that the word technology only has to do with computers and electronics and such.  But in my mind, it means scientific advances that make our lives easier and/or better.

My absolute favorite technology is running water--commodes flushing, sinking running, and taking showers.  Oh the joy of a morning shower--it is can be a spiritual experience--washing away yesterday's detritus!

The reason I'm thinking of technology is that I want to get better at it for my blog.  For example, I want to be able to put pictures on my blog--like this:


See I did it!  That's my nook tablet--something that most people would recognize as technology.  It's actually a small computer.  I paid some huge amount for my Nook, only to discover that I do not like reading books on computer screens.  I don't even have wifi at my house because I decided that I would only be on my computer at my desk.  Old fashioned, I guess, but I haven't regretted it yet!

Except for writing my blog, answering a couple of important emails, and reading a few significant blogs, most of the rest of the time that I spend on the computer--like on facebook--feels like wasted time to me!  I'm sorry if that offends any of you avid fb fans!  Of course, sometimes, we need to waste time!

Oh by the way, as far as technology goes, I still have a vintage phone--not a smart phone.  Presently, I don't want to check my email or read blogs on my phone. From my phone, I only want to call, to talk, to leave a message, or to text a short message when appropriate.  Yes, I do text!

Back when answering machines got popular, I really liked that particular piece of technology.  With answering machines, one didn't have to run to answer the phone when in the middle of doing something.  In the recent past, we didn't carry our phones around with us!  As a matter of  fact, we couldn't because the phones were not mobile; they were attached to the wall.  (Before answering machines and caller id when we answered the phone, we didn't even know who was on the other end!)

Wow, I have lived through a lot of technological changes--especially with the phone!

When I was a kid in the 50s, I remember getting our first TV.  Of course, the screen was smaller than the screen on many desktop computers today, it was black and white, and it was set into a big wooden box piece of furniture.  As I recall, often my whole family would sit around the TV at night and watch a show--usually of my father's choosing.  So we watched a lot of westerns!  Dad had his special recliner chair, and the rest of us filled in wherever.  I believe that I often sat on the floor near the TV, which mom said would ruin my eyes!  Sure enough later in my early teens, I needed glasses, but my guess is that that was why I sat so near the TV in the first place!

Anyway, my dream for my blog is to buy an inexpensive digital camera and learn how to upload pictures to my computer and my blog posts.  I haven't bought a camera since I got my Canon Rebel years ago.  It still takes really great pictures, which I usually have put on a disk nowadays, but I guess that's not the "immediate gratification" of having pictures readily available to upload to my blog that a digital camera will give me.

Hey, I think that I'll try to transfer a picture or two from some of my recent Canon disks to one of my blog posts to figure out if I can accomplish that small feat.  Maybe I won't need that new camera, after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment