Pages

Saturday, August 3, 2013

My memoirs--piecemeal

Hey to my readers--I am writing my memoirs--a few stories at a time--and wanted to utilize my blog to share some of them with you. Most of us like humor, but I'm sorry, there's not going to be a lot of humor in my stories.

In my home of origin, there was no humor or lightness. Everything was so-o-o serious. When I think about my original family, some heaviness still comes over me. That's one of the reasons that I want to write and share my stories: to get them down on paper and out of my system.

Memoirs are memories, and I acknowledge that our memories are selective. Having lived too long with some of my memories interfering with who I truly am, I would like to let go of  "culturally [family] ingrained images, things that are past, old illusions, crumbled myths, fears, and lies." To quote a Sue Monk Kidd book When the Heart Waits that I was reading with my morning coffee.

Ideally, wouldn't it have been better to have released these things at 34, instead of at 64? Yes, but I'm a BIG believer in the expression that "It's never to late." It's never too late to be more free and happier!  At age 34 or even 44, I was not yet in a place to know myself fully.  As a matter of fact, I'm still working on that!

Always the teacher, another purpose in sharing my memoirs is to help younger people than I (and older people than I!) to learn about themselves and to let go of the things that aren't serving them well and to become their authentic selves.

What is an "authentic self"? By my definition, it means asking yourself constantly, "Whose voice am I listening to?" Awareness is the first key to becoming ourselves. So now when something pops in my head about one thing or another, I ask myself, "Who says? Who's talking in my head? Whose voice am I listening to?" Always, I want to find and listen more to my own voice, to my own heart.

My stories are not going to necessarily be in chronological order on my blog because I haven't written them that way nor have I put them in any particular order yet. I'm trusting Spirit to order them in any way that may help someone else. Also they aren't going to be continual on my blog, but they will appear randomly, always under the title, "A memoir."

Here's hoping that some of my stories resonate with you. They will begin with my next post.

(Readers, if you have comments on my posts,  please put them directly on the posts themselves because I'm trying to break my facebook habit, which I'll discuss in depth in my next technological post, Technology--Part III)

No comments:

Post a Comment